Well, what will happen, will happen. August is when we invoke our philosophy, “It’s not that we have low standards. We have no standards at all. Done is what counts.” 😉
That said, here are a bunch of things you can think about.
- Blackboard courses will be updated this Thursday with student enrolments. That means the class list in Blackboard will match the class list in Banner Self Service.
- Starting Thursday, students will be able to poke into you courses. Well, some have been able to do that already. But if it’s a Work In Progress, hide things or mark it a WIP.
- There’s Blackboard training next week, August 1 -5.
- There’s drop-in Blackboard help during PAD, most afternoons between 1 and 4 pm. Sometimes not quite those times but that’s close enough to generalize.
- ALL Network accounts (the log into the computer and access the Library account) will be refreshed the weekend of August 7-8. You should have a network account on the morning of August 8 but, well, you know how that goes. Last summer I didn’t get to finish the processing until the middle of the morning on Monday. So be prepared for some inconvenience.
- I will be sending a letter (the usual bright yellow paper) about August 1 with your network username and password on it. The password on that letter will be the password that will let you log in.
- Just because you can get into Blackboard starting on Thursday, doesn’t mean there’s anything to look at. Be patient and don’t look for much until the week of August 15.
- Classes start August 22. Some of your courses may not have materials until then. Some of your courses may not have materials online at all. Ask your instructor.
- Some classes don’t start until October 17. There won’t be anything there until at least October 1.
- Have you done the ticky things in Banner Self Service so you can use your Financial Aid to buy books? Directions here.
- Not sure about technology? Taking an online class for the first time? Taking a hybrid class for the first time? Come to a Technical Orientation. That’s an investment in sanity.
See? We all have things to do! ::scurries off::