Yeah, sorry… all day computer maintenance on the Columbus Day holiday.
All systems will be affected; access to computer systems will be impacted. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Banner / Banner Self Service
- College web site
- Faculty/staff email — student email will NOT be impacted
If you do gain access to any system during the day, you may be cut off at any time without warning.
STUDENTS — now I know a lot of you take advantage of the holiday to catch up. Especially adult students who have ‘day jobs’ and need to do homework when you can. You can still do a lot of things without Blackboard, if you plan properly. Make sure you download and print your syllabus and course schedule, and have your textbook available. With those you can do any or all of the following:
- read and outline textbook chapters
- study textbook materials for a test
- outline/write projects or essays that will be due (just because the Genesee library isn’t available, doesn’t mean the entire Internet is closed!)
- do homework at publisher web sites (make sure you have direct login information; if the only way you know how to get there is through Blackboard, then you’re kind of stuck)
- print tests that do not have time limits on them; do the work offline so you can enter the information later
- work with a calendar to plan out your work for the rest of the semester; what will be do when and when will you do the work for it. Planning also takes time and the holiday is a great time to do that!
- ask your instructor for materials you may need
There’s always lots to do! You just need to be prepared!
PS — the next maintenance day will be Saturday, November 28. All day, again. I’ll be back with these same suggestions!