Yeah, sorry… all day computer maintenance on the Columbus Day holiday.
All systems will be affected; access to computer systems will be impacted. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Banner / Banner Self Service
- College web site
- Faculty/staff email — student email will NOT be impacted
If you do gain access to any system during the day, you may be cut off at any time without warning.
STUDENTS — now I know a lot of you take advantage of the holiday to catch up. Especially adult students who have ‘day jobs’ and need to do homework when you can. You can still do a lot of things without Blackboard, if you plan properly. Make sure you download and print your syllabus and course schedule, and have your textbook available. With those you can do any or all of the following:
- read and outline textbook chapters
- study textbook materials for a test
- outline/write projects or essays that will be due (just because the Genesee library isn’t available, doesn’t mean the entire Internet is closed!)
- do homework at publisher web sites (make sure you have direct login information; if the only way you know how to get there is through Blackboard, then you’re kind of stuck)
- print tests that do not have time limits on them; do the work offline so you can enter the information later
- work with a calendar to plan out your work for the rest of the semester; what will be do when and when will you do the work for it. Planning also takes time and the holiday is a great time to do that!
- ask your instructor for materials you may need
There’s always lots to do! You just need to be prepared!
PS — the next maintenance day will be Saturday, November 28. All day, again. I’ll be back with these same suggestions!
Thanks to everyone for your patience.
Now. Let’s see if that’s fixed the problem.
First of all, clear cache. Yes, again. If you don’t know how, this is a good resource: https://kb.iu.edu/d/ahic
IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS: Send an email to email@example.com — tell us what course, what you had problems doing, what test or assignment… details are helpful…
Calling the help desk won’t get any faster results… just send that email so we know what’s going on.
Hang in there… we’ll keep poking at it!
There have been known problems with Blackboard this past weekend into today. The most often reported problem has been about slow or no access to tests and assignments.
We are aware of the problem and are working on it. Those of you who reported problems were helpful to us in clearly communicating the problems to Blackboard technical support.
Blackboard technical support has recommended some changes be made to our system. We will spend the rest of the afternoon preparing to make those changes.
Blackboard will be unavailable TODAY (Monday) starting 5:00 pm for about an hour for maintenance.
Instructors have been informed about this work and the scope of the problem. Contact your instructor about what to do next.
Check the “Blackboard Tip of the Week” box on the My Courses page for updates. If Genesis is not available, check https://maryjane47.wordpress.com for updates.
Thank you for your patience.
–Mary Jane Heider
With the updates and fixes we (literally) just put into Blackboard, one major nuisance is that your organized class list has gone away.
If you didn’t know how to organize it, well, then you’ve missed out on a cool thing.
Click here for the video on how to organize your course listing.
Or, the steps:
- point your cursor to the words “Course List”
- look for the shadow-y “S” that appears on the right end of the block
- click on the “S”
- click the ticky box for “Group By Term”
- un-clicky older terms you’re done with
- an advanced option: if you point to the left end of the list, you get up and down arrows; use them to push Spring 2014 to the top of the list
- click “Submit”
We’ve had some confusion from both students and faculty about ‘disappearing menus’ — that is you can get into the course but you cannot see the menu and can’t get to other areas of your course.
This will help: (If the video doesn’t show, try this link: http://www.viddler.com/v/a0194d8)