Yeah, sorry… all day computer maintenance on the Columbus Day holiday.
All systems will be affected; access to computer systems will be impacted. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Banner / Banner Self Service
- College web site
- Faculty/staff email — student email will NOT be impacted
If you do gain access to any system during the day, you may be cut off at any time without warning.
STUDENTS — now I know a lot of you take advantage of the holiday to catch up. Especially adult students who have ‘day jobs’ and need to do homework when you can. You can still do a lot of things without Blackboard, if you plan properly. Make sure you download and print your syllabus and course schedule, and have your textbook available. With those you can do any or all of the following:
- read and outline textbook chapters
- study textbook materials for a test
- outline/write projects or essays that will be due (just because the Genesee library isn’t available, doesn’t mean the entire Internet is closed!)
- do homework at publisher web sites (make sure you have direct login information; if the only way you know how to get there is through Blackboard, then you’re kind of stuck)
- print tests that do not have time limits on them; do the work offline so you can enter the information later
- work with a calendar to plan out your work for the rest of the semester; what will be do when and when will you do the work for it. Planning also takes time and the holiday is a great time to do that!
- ask your instructor for materials you may need
There’s always lots to do! You just need to be prepared!
PS — the next maintenance day will be Saturday, November 28. All day, again. I’ll be back with these same suggestions!
Thanks to everyone for your patience.
Now. Let’s see if that’s fixed the problem.
First of all, clear cache. Yes, again. If you don’t know how, this is a good resource: https://kb.iu.edu/d/ahic
IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS: Send an email to email@example.com — tell us what course, what you had problems doing, what test or assignment… details are helpful…
Calling the help desk won’t get any faster results… just send that email so we know what’s going on.
Hang in there… we’ll keep poking at it!
There have been known problems with Blackboard this past weekend into today. The most often reported problem has been about slow or no access to tests and assignments.
We are aware of the problem and are working on it. Those of you who reported problems were helpful to us in clearly communicating the problems to Blackboard technical support.
Blackboard technical support has recommended some changes be made to our system. We will spend the rest of the afternoon preparing to make those changes.
Blackboard will be unavailable TODAY (Monday) starting 5:00 pm for about an hour for maintenance.
Instructors have been informed about this work and the scope of the problem. Contact your instructor about what to do next.
Check the “Blackboard Tip of the Week” box on the My Courses page for updates. If Genesis is not available, check https://maryjane47.wordpress.com for updates.
Thank you for your patience.
–Mary Jane Heider
Computer Services will be performing routine system maintenance on Sunday, September 20 between 8:00 am and 12:00 noon.
During this time, ALL systems may be down. This includes and is not limited to:
- college web site
- faculty/staff email
- Banner / Banner Self Service
If you gain access to any of these systems before noon, you may be cut off without warning.
STUDENTS: Plan ahead! Download / print / organize your study materials before Sunday morning. We’re very aware that there are a number of students who need to accomplish work during this time. There are a lot of things you can do without access to Genesee systems! We’re only shutting down our little corner of the world, not the entire internet!
If you have questions, do ask! I’m willing to listen: firstname.lastname@example.org
PS: For planning purposes, the remaining maintenance days for the Fall semester are Monday, October 12 and Saturday, November 28. Those will be all day outages, from 7 am to 5 pm.
The summer construction project is complete! GCC’s dining service partner, American Dining Creations, welcomes back students with a new kitchen and cafe!
Discounted meal plans and Cougar Bucks are available to use in both the new Cafe and Subway, located in the Student Union.
For further information, go to: http://www.genesee.edu/home/campus-life/dining/ or see the newest brochure
More information on the new enhanced dining options: GCC_Cafe_Flyer
The week before and the week of the start of classes are the busiest times at the central help desk number! Save yourself the aggravation of being on hold or being asked to authenticate yourself, just to report a broken printer!
Try one of the following options:
- Use the ticket system found here: http://www.genesee.edu/gcc/helpdesk/tickets/ — the template will help you answer all the questions we need to ask
- Just send an email to email@example.com
- Problems logging in? Folk in Batavia are welcome to come to T212 (Computer Services office suite), especially for non-Banner login problems. We will reset non-Banner passwords on the spot!
Remember, the Central Help Desk phone really can’t help with the following, at any time, so calling will only get you a ticket, which you could have done yourself with any of the options above:
- Banner INB passwords
- Blackboard questions
- Smart Classroom problems
- Problems with office telephones
- Questions about wireless access or wireless problems
- Office computer hardware or software
Huh. Quite the list…
The Central Help Desk is good with student username and password issues. Let them do what they do best!
Questions? You know where I live! firstname.lastname@example.org
Information from the Records Office:
Please be advised that there is an issue rendering audits using Google Chrome version 44.
Ellucian (the company that publishes Degree Works) is aware of the problem, however they have not supplied a workaround or solution yet. If you are having issues processing an audit, please be sure Chrome is not the browser.
When in doubt, always try another browser!